Tuesday, February 22, 2011

A Podiatrist's View On Running Shoe Selection


Ever wondered what an evidence-based Sports Podiatrist's views are on choosing your next running shoes? This is what Ian Griffins on Ransacker.com wrote.

Mr Griffins did an excellent job on saying what many current heath professionals are still doing now with regards to running shoe selection is flawed. He also discusses how the method of assessing your foot type by your wet foot print came about (and why the wet foot test is "nonsense" to quote him), why controlling pronation  is a poor way of choosing a shoe, why aligning runners to the same neutral position makes no sense.

Please have a look if you want to read his post.

I've written on running shoes before, have a look here and here.

* Photo Ian Griffins's webpage

3 comments:

  1. Do you have to get a custom shoe if you have a really high or low arch? Or are there different brands that fit those foot types better? I'm not a runner, but I hike a lot so I'm always looking for shoes that offer good support. http://www.rockymtnfootandankle.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Angela,

      have a look at this

      http://weloverunning.blogspot.sg/2010/08/do-your-running-shoes-prevent-injuries.html

      Delete
  2. This is a great blog post for me! I've been trying to find better running shoes for quite some time, mine hurt my feet. I have very flat feet so I think that might be the problem. Do you think I should get an appointment with a podiatrist to get suggestions from him before I buy a new pair of shoes? http://www.littletonfootcare.com/services.html

    ReplyDelete